[mou] Northern Saw-whet Owl in Plymouth

Richard Hoyme RHoyme@msn.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:57:16 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0774_01C3DAC7.D8CCBFB0

I came home from work this evening shortly after 5:30 and as I went down =
to my mail box, I heard this monotone whistle, slightly faster than 1 =
per second. I said to myself, that kind of sounds like a saw whet owl. =
After a few more steps I said to myself, that REALLY sounds like a saw =
whet. I walked down the street and the sound was coming from a small =
group of pines in back of a house. It quit as I got close. I whistled =
the same pitch, but didn't fool it.=20

That is by far my best yard bird. Of course that isn't difficult since =
the list is under 30 species.

The bird is on private property and I don't know the people, so I won't =
post directions. If someone is really in need of this species, it can be =
heard from the road or a public trail nearby.

Rick Hoyme
Hennepin Co.

------=_NextPart_000_0774_01C3DAC7.D8CCBFB0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2734.1600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"v" =
/><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" />
<DIV>I came home from work this evening shortly after 5:30 and as I went =
down to=20
my mail box, I heard this monotone whistle, slightly faster than 1 per =
second. I=20
said to myself, that kind of sounds like a saw whet owl. After a few =
more steps=20
I said to myself, that REALLY sounds like a saw whet. I walked down the =
street=20
and the sound was coming from a small group of pines in back of a house. =
It quit=20
as I got close. I whistled the same pitch, but didn't fool it. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>That is by far my best yard bird. Of course that isn't difficult =
since the=20
list is under 30 species.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The bird is on private property and I don't know the people, so I =
won't=20
post directions. If someone is really in need of this species, it can be =
heard=20
from the road or a public trail nearby.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Rick Hoyme</DIV>
<DIV>Hennepin Co.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0774_01C3DAC7.D8CCBFB0--