[mou] Titmouse at Mount Olivet

Ann and Manley Olson a_molson@unidial.com, a_molson@unidial.com
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:26:32 -0600

  From Sunday through Tuesday I was at the Mount Olivet Retreat Center
located at 7884 - 257th St W, Farmington, Dakota County.  A Tufted
Titmouse has been seen there since the end of October.  It came
regularly to feeders in the mornings.  The Center has a large feeder,
best viewed from the dining room.  Visitors are welcome but please check
in at the desk.  Hours are 8-4:30.

They have great numbers of feeder birds.  Much of the time the feeders
were very busy.  There were at least this many of the following:

Downy Woodpecker  6                      Hairy Woodpecker 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2                 Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 5                                          Crow at least 25 in
the trees
White-breasted Nuthatch 4                 Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Black -capped Chickadee 11             Titmouse 1
Cardinal 16                                        Junco 12

I saw no Goldfinches, House Finches, House Sparrows, Starlings or any
winter finches.  It was very cold with icey trails and fresh snow so I
did very little walking.  Saw a Red-tailed Hawk over the marsh.

This is a great place for birds at all seasons of the year.  It has a
lake, marsh, woods and open fields.  The staff appreciated visitors
letting them know what has been seen.

Manley Olson