[mou] 7.23 million acres in AK opened for drilling 1/22/04

Michelle Crozier m_l_crozier@hotmail.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:53:00 -0700

A Record of Decision was signed by Gale Norton (Secretary of the Interior)
today opening 7.23 million acres of BLM land - the National Petroleum
Reserve (NPR-A) to energy leasing (drilling for oil.  This is an area in the
North Slope of Alaska near the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  I must say
I am very surprised that the media and environmental groups have not covered
this issue more closely?  I am unfamiliear with the details and am educating
myself about this issue.  If others are interested, here are a few links:

Alaska Bureau of Land Management
http://www.ak.blm.gov/

Dept. of the Interior Press Release
http://www.ak.blm.gov/affairs/press/pr012204.html