[mou] Owls....again

Timmerman, Janet Timmerman@southwestmsu.edu
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:06:32 -0500

Last summer I went to fill a platform feeder six foot up in one of my =
pine trees and found the remains of a rabbit in it. I wondered if either =
a hawk or owl hadn't had lunch there. It may have been a cat too. I =
found no owl pellets anywhere around the yard.
Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu]On
Behalf Of sharonks@mn.rr.com
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 8:38 AM
To: Sharil
Cc: mou-net@cbs.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [mou] Owls....again

As I recall the thinking was that owls were attacking the birds at =
night, but I don't know of feeder birds that would eat at a bird feeder =
at night.  Although it is possible for owls to eat other birds, I have a =
photo of a great-horned with a robin and a photo of an eastern screech =
owl with a blue jay it's unusual for owls to go after songbirds since =
they are kind of the Sunday drivers of the raptor world. =20

Just out of curiosity, are there bones in the pellets? =20

Sharon Stiteler
Uptown, Minneapolis