[mou] pipit search, fuha

fredericksonr@willmar.k12.mn.us fredericksonr@willmar.k12.mn.us
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:30:51 -0600

I just returned from spending 3 days in NW Minn. looking for Sprague's
pipit.  I found no pipits but still had a very worthwhile trip. I spent
about two hours at the rock wren location, hoping to find evidence of
nesting.  I only saw one wren and it only sang from the top of the rock
pile about two minutes before disappearing.  I never saw it again on the
rock pile.  About 1.5 hours later, I saw a single rock wren on the s. side
of the gravel driveway.  It was foraging and moving south.  The weather was
overcast, with light intermittent rain, and cool (47 degrees).

I then called someone who had just returned from the MBW in that area, and
was informed that several people had seen a furruginous hawk about 4 miles
south of my current location.  When the weather finally broke, and the sun
poked out, I thought it might be a good time to look for raptors as the
thermals formed.  As fate would have it, I was overlooking a grazed pastor
(while briefly visiting with several Heterite type men who spoke with heavy
german accents), when the bird lifted from a lone tree toward the middle of
the pasture.  I watched it for about two minutes as it caught a thermal,
rose and departed to the east, away from me.  I spent the next 4 hours
unsuccessfully trying to relocate it.  I did see one very white (even the
head) young redtail, and numerous other redtails and harriers.

I am hoping the people who originally found the FUHA will post it and take
credit.  The fact they have not done so possibly suggests another agenda,
and I do not want to infringe on them.  I saw the FUHA about 1/2 mi. west
of Clay co. #86, between 57th Ave. N and 43rd Ave. N.  When the bird flew,
it went over Co. #86 to the east and circled there a while.  That entire
section (between 170 St. N. and 180 St. N.) looks like good habitat, but
all I saw there were redtails and harriers.

	*** Brad and his wife have experienced a few RECENT problems with
birders trespassing on foot, disturbing livestock (with young), and
blocking the driveway.  Please, please, realize using this birding goldmine
is entirely a goodwill gesture on the part of the Bjerkens.  If we abuse
it, we could lose it.