[mou] Murphy Hanrehan birds

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:12:01 EDT

Got a late start (9:00) this AM but the light rain didn't deter the birds
much. Spent four hours...Saw and heard a Cerulean and the Summer Tanager (which
sang frequently) heard the Mourning and the Chestnut-sided, missed on the
Acadian Flycatcher and Hooded Warblers. Didn't hear any Blue-Winged. In the
afternoon I stopped the car to listen and saw an adult Red-shouldered Hawk fly over
the road and almost immediately heard it being greeted by an adolescent RS
Hawk. I hopped out and saw the adult give the adolescent some morsel of food and
then it flew a short ways away and started screaming. The adolescent hung
around answering its parent in the most pitiful little voice, despite looking 90%
grown. It made two short flights and seemed to have difficulty positioning its
feet well when it landed. I watched for a time and left it after 25 minutes or
so. Heard a dickcissel near the South boundary of the Park.
    John Ellis-St. Paul