[mou] Glenwood BBS results

Robert_Russell@fws.gov Robert_Russell@fws.gov
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:13:09 -0500

I ran the Glenwood Breeding Bird Survey on 17 June, a beautiful and diverse
route that runs from near Grove Lake Waterfowl Production Area west a few
miles south of Lake Minnewaska, past the entrance to Glacial Lake State
Park, and ending up SW of Starbuck near Lake Emily.  I found 84 species and
1431 individuals, a rather high species diversity for the edge of the
prairie but indicative of the many farmgroves, shelter belts, wetlands, and
the state park's forest which accounted for one stop of the 50 stops
completed.  To date over 100 species have been recorded on this route.
Several species have not been recorded in recent years including Lark
Sparrow and Least Bittern.  New species recorded for the first time
included Pileated Woodpecker and Sandhill Crane (Grove Lake WPA).  11
Franklin's Gull was a high total for summering birds. Of the 84 species, 32
were at levels above their long-term averages and 30 below averages with
the remaining species statistically unchanged.  Significant changes
included Blue Jay about 50% below average (West Nile?), Horned Lark (huge
decline, no apparent reason except maybe late for their song period, not
declining on other routes I ran), Barn Swallow (45% below average), Marsh
Wren ( large increase), Cedar Waxwing (down steeply), Western Meadowlark
(long term average 15 birds,  only 4 found).  Birds showing increases
included Sedge Wren, Baltimore Oriole, Warbling Vireo, Willow Flycatcher,
pheasant, and Gray Catbird; declines noted in Mallard, Mourning Dove, Sora,
Vesper Sparrow, and Savannah Sparrow.  Crows are almost back to their
long-term average after an apparent West Nile-caused decline.  Anyone else
want to comment on their BBS routes?   Bob Russell, US Fish and Wildlife
Service