[mou] Smew

Anthony X. Hertzel axhertzel@sihope.com
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:43:15 -0600

Again, thanks to Chuck Krulas for finding the Smew and quickly
notifying the birding community. We all appreciate it, Chuck.

The Smew was still present late this evening and I was able to view
it at close range as it swam about beneath the overpass to
north-bound U.S. Highway 52 at Lake Shady in Olmsted County. Several
times the bird climbed out on to the ice shelf, preened, and walked
about, all within approximately fifty feet of me and several other
birders,

With my scope I could see that the right hallux (or rear toe) was
missing. Looking closely, it clearly appeared to have been clipped,
not having been torn or otherwise missing due to injury -- judging
from the clean and nicely healed scar. The left hallux was intact and
complete. A clipped right rear-facing toe is usually indicative of an
escaped bird since, as a general rule, captive bred waterfowl are
marked in this manner (but also by other methods). This is done
before the bird is six weeks of age.

I am not about to presume what the Records Committee will say about
this record, nor do I speak for the Committee, but since a clipped
hallux is strongly suggestive of a captively-raised bird, I'd guess
this individual would be Unacceptable as a second state record.

--
Anthony X. Hertzel -- axhertzel@sihope.com