[mou] short-eared owl, eagan, dakota county

Mexczech@aol.com Mexczech@aol.com
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:20:53 EST

--part1_78.5220c260.2d8480d5_boundary

Note: originally sent yesterday at 4:15 but bounced back.

Hello Birders,

About 15 minutes ago (4pm) my wife and I were out with our daughter; it was=20
her first time facing forward in the stroller.=A0 We were on Avalon, a small=
=20
street parallel to and just north of Lone Oak, a few hundred yards east of P=
ilot=20
Knob.

A bird was flushed out of some tall spruce/pines by some crows and we though=
t=20
it was a hawk.=A0 It seemed to be awfully 'bouncy' in it's flight.=A0 I thou=
ght=20
owl and got quite excited.=A0 We got the binoculars on it and watched for cl=
ose=20
to 10 minutes as it flew, 'moth like', around, stopping once in the same bun=
ch=20
of trees for less than a minute but otherwise at the perfect viewing height.

We were quite excited.=A0 Once last year and once this year we had gone to=20
Salem Corners in the hopes of seeing the short-eared but didn't.=A0 Who know=
s, maybe=20
this was the same guy (it seems the one we saw was a male due to it's=20
coloration)!

We still have red- and white-breasted nuthatches and juncos at the house and=
=20
are just seeing the first robins, starlings and red-winged black birds passi=
ng=20
by.

Happy Birding,

The Zajics
Eagan, Dakota County=20

--part1_78.5220c260.2d8480d5_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Note: originally sent yesterday at=20=
4:15 but bounced back.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Hello Birders,<BR>
<BR>
About 15 minutes ago (4pm) my wife and I were out with our daughter; it was=20=
her first time facing forward in the stroller.=A0 We were on Avalon, a small=
 street parallel to and just north of Lone Oak, a few hundred yards east of=20=
Pilot Knob.<BR>
<BR>
A bird was flushed out of some tall spruce/pines by some crows and we though=
t it was a hawk.=A0 It seemed to be awfully 'bouncy' in it's flight.=A0 I th=
ought owl and got quite excited.=A0 We got the binoculars on it and watched=20=
for close to 10 minutes as it flew, 'moth like', around, stopping once in th=
e same bunch of trees for less than a minute but otherwise at the perfect vi=
ewing height.<BR>
<BR>
We were quite excited.=A0 Once last year and once this year we had gone to S=
alem Corners in the hopes of seeing the short-eared but didn't.=A0 Who knows=
, maybe this was the same guy (it seems the one we saw was a male due to it'=
s coloration)!<BR>
<BR>
We still have red- and white-breasted nuthatches and juncos at the house and=
 are just seeing the first robins, starlings and red-winged black birds pass=
ing by.<BR>
<BR>
Happy Birding,<BR>
<BR>