[mou] OT: Hawks

sbeecher@visi.com sbeecher@visi.com
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:41:12 -0600

Hi Shari,

> i hope iam not too off topic..

I am new to this list but, I don't think your post is off topic at all. It's spring
migration and being close to the Minnesota River means you are in a good position
to see just about any bird of prey that comes through Minnesota, as well as most
other migrants. Harriers summer from here north, Peregrines live along the local river
valleys, Rough-legged and Broad-winged Hawks are moving north as well as Osprey
and Bald Eagles. You could see them all this time of year!

> .... my only guide is the golden guide bird book...
> ... can anyone recommend a good book for a beginner
> and the minnesota area..

Many people (including me) think that the Sibley Guide to Birds is the best all
around book for beginners, they also have a smaller Eastern Guide. I'm sure that
others can suggest more specific books on raptors.

> i had wild female turkey at my bird feeders with the sparrows.

Cool! It's great to see them up close.

Put a Sibley and some binocs in your bus and you may be making more stops than
you had before!

Have fun,

Steve-O