[mou] Guidelines & Duluth birds

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:53:11 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C411AF.BA566670

Well at first I was reluctant to post this message since all I am going =
to mention is that today I heard a Red Wing Blackbird and saw some =
Robins. This my be old news for many in Minnesota but for birders in the =
NE Minnesota well that's a good spring sighting since I haven't heard of =
these being seen nor reported yet this spring season in Duluth.

The birds were in the Gary-New Duluth area.

Personally I would like to revisit the MOU listserve guidelines and do =
away with "post only birds that are unusual, or birds seen in unusual =
locations or out of season" To me that is CRAP!=20

Having been the MOU field trip chairman for 1+ years many people on =
these trips, who are MOU members have a fair idea what is rare or what =
is not. I would also further say that a good portion of the people who =
belong to the MOU don't know what is truly rare, what is out of place or =
what is out of season. I feel strongly we should continue to let birders =
from all levels to post thier sightings w/o these guidelines.=20

This guideline is mostly geared for the upper tier birders that want to =
chase or be part of a listserve that suits there needs. Since I feel I =
am one of them so-call expert birders in Minnesota I don't get bother by =
nor have I ever been bothered by posts that report Robins, House Finches =
and other common birds. If any birder does get bothered by daily =
sightings by people on this listserve than they should go to Yahoo and =
put together a message board that caters to only rare birds, out of =
place birds and out of season birds!

Also this guideline or enforcing this guideline on this listserve will =
make your everyday average birder feel totally uneasy about sharing a =
sighting on this listserve, or ask a basic question because after =
reading Terry's friendly reminder post they will have a attitude that =
this listserve is more for the upper tier or for the more knowledgeable =
birders of Minnesota. To me this MOU listserve is not friendly its =
dividing the people who are not aware of the status of birds in =
Minnesota vs the ones that do. That is how I see it.

This listserve should be for everyone and ALL posts should be welcomed =
not criticized or watered down. I know Terry's reminder wasn't saying =
that but the guidelines as I read them are geared only for those that =
are extemely active as birders in Minnesota or have a good foundation to =
know what is rare and etc.. Hell if my daughter asks me " dad can I post =
my sighting of a House Finch building a nest in the hanging flower pot"? =
I would have to say this according to these guidelines " NO Becca =
because its not that important to share with others because there are =
some who are turned off by those reports" HOW NICE!

As a MOU board member I'll do whatever I can do to erase that guideline =
or hell start my own listserve/message board as some other places have =
done to share and communicate freely about birds in Minnesota. I am =
speaking about Polk Co and others that have message boards on Yahoo but =
I would rather see those get all riled up over seeing the same birds =
repeated on the MOU listserve to start there your own message board and =
gear it to those that want to chase those "abundant rare" birds. =20

Also I am soon going to lead a trip to Montevideo in April 3-4 and I =
want to hear about spring migration in those areas. I want to know if =
the ducks are out there and what other common "boring" birds are around =
in this area. This guideline I feel will make people living out there to =
not report ducks because so many duck reports have came through already. =
I want an idea what is happening out there. I can't know this if there =
is a guideline saying "only report rare birds on this listserve" That is =
not right!=20

So listen to me everyone and continue to report your birds as always. =
Share your sightings no matter how great or small or you can report them =
direct to me because I don't have an issue with reading common reports =
of backyard birds or the common repeated birds in your area. =
smithville4@charter.net

OOOOH I just saw my Cardinal at my feeder,  ooopps ERRR a Pyrrhuloxia! I =
have to stay within the guidelines.=20

Mike Hendrickson
------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C411AF.BA566670

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well at first I was reluctant to post =
this message=20
since all I am going to mention is that today I heard a Red Wing =
Blackbird and=20
saw some Robins. This my be old news for many in Minnesota but for =
birders in=20
the NE Minnesota well that's a good spring sighting since I haven't =
heard of=20
these being seen nor reported yet this spring season in =
Duluth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The birds were in the Gary-New Duluth=20
area.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Personally I would like to revisit the =
MOU=20
listserve guidelines and do away with "post only birds that are unusual, =
or=20
birds seen in unusual locations or out of season" To me that is CRAP!=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Having been the MOU field trip chairman =
for 1+=20
years many people on these trips, who are MOU members have a fair idea =
what is=20
rare or what is not. I would also further say that a good portion of the =
people=20
who belong to the MOU don't know what is truly rare, what is out of =
place or=20
what is out of season. I&nbsp;feel strongly&nbsp;we should =
continue&nbsp;to let=20
birders from all levels to post thier sightings w/o&nbsp;these =
guidelines.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This guideline is mostly geared =
for&nbsp;the upper=20
tier birders that want to chase or be part of a listserve that suits =
there=20
needs.&nbsp;Since I feel I am one of them so-call expert birders in =
Minnesota I=20
don't get bother&nbsp;by nor have I ever been bothered by posts that =
report=20
Robins, House Finches and other common birds. If&nbsp;any birder does =
get=20
bothered by daily sightings by people on this listserve than they should =
go to=20
Yahoo and put together&nbsp;a&nbsp;message board&nbsp;that&nbsp;caters =
to only=20
rare birds, out of place birds and out of season birds!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also this guideline or enforcing this=20
guideline&nbsp;on this listserve will make your everyday average=20
birder&nbsp;feel totally uneasy about sharing a sighting on this =
listserve, or=20
ask a basic question because after reading Terry's&nbsp;friendly =
reminder post=20
they will have a attitude that this listserve is more for the upper tier =
or for=20
the more&nbsp;knowledgeable birders of Minnesota. To me this&nbsp;MOU =
listserve=20
is not friendly its dividing the people who are not aware of the status =
of birds=20
in Minnesota vs the ones that do. That is how I see it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This listserve should&nbsp;be for =
everyone and ALL=20
posts should be welcomed not criticized or watered down. I know Terry's =
reminder=20
wasn't saying that but the guidelines as I read them are geared only for =
those=20
that&nbsp;are extemely active as birders in Minnesota or have a good =
foundation=20
to know&nbsp;what is rare and etc.. Hell if my daughter asks me " dad =
can I post=20
my sighting of a House Finch building a nest in the hanging flower pot"? =
I would=20
have to say this according&nbsp;to these guidelines " NO Becca =
because&nbsp;its=20
not that important&nbsp;to share with others because there are some who =
are=20
turned off by those reports" HOW NICE!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As a MOU board member I'll do whatever =
I can do=20
to&nbsp;erase that guideline or hell start my own listserve/message =
board as=20
some other places have done to share and communicate freely about birds =
in=20
Minnesota. I am speaking about Polk Co and others that have message =
boards on=20
Yahoo but I would rather&nbsp;see those get all riled up over seeing the =
same=20
birds repeated on the MOU listserve to start there your own message =
board and=20
gear it&nbsp;to those that want&nbsp;to chase those "abundant rare" =
birds.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also I am soon going&nbsp;to lead a =
trip to=20
Montevideo in April&nbsp;3-4 and I want to hear about =
spring&nbsp;migration in=20
those areas. I want&nbsp;to know if the ducks are out there&nbsp;and =
what other=20
common "boring" birds are around in this area. This guideline I feel =
will make=20
people living out there to not report ducks because so&nbsp;many duck =
reports=20
have came through already. I want an idea what is happening out there. I =
can't=20
know this if there is a guideline saying "only report rare birds on this =

listserve" That is&nbsp;not right!&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So listen to me&nbsp;everyone and =
continue to=20
report your birds as always. Share your&nbsp;sightings no matter how =
great or=20
small or you can report them direct to me because I don't have an=20
issue&nbsp;with reading common reports of backyard birds or the common =
repeated=20
birds in your area.&nbsp;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:smithville4@charter.net">smithville4@charter.net</A></FONT=
></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>OOOOH I just saw my Cardinal at my =
feeder,=20
&nbsp;ooopps ERRR a Pyrrhuloxia! I have to stay within the guidelines.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike =
Hendrickson</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C411AF.BA566670--