[mou] SW Minnesota this weekend

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Sun, 2 May 2004 22:34:09 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0123_01C43095.95AB2C20

This weekend Rick Hoyme, Jake Musser, Jeff Stephenson, Chuck Krulas, =
Carol Schumacher, and I birded the southwest corner of Minnesota.  We =
had a spectacular weekend! Friday night enroute to meet the other three =
in Jackson County, Rick, Jake, and I stopped by the Red Rock Prairie in =
Cottonwood County in hopes of finding longspurs.  We found no longspurs, =
but we did run across a SPRAGUE'S PIPIT!  Thanks to John Hockema for =
posting the bird Friday night.  We chased the pipit around the prairie =
for about half an hour before we finally lost it. =20
Here are the highlights from our trip:

Saturday:
-Spotted Towhee: Robertson County Park in Jackson County
-Ross's Goose: along Jackson CR 86 south of I-90
-Willet: two birds in Jackson Co.--one at Spirit Lake, another at North =
Heron Lake
-Shorebirds at Luverne sewage ponds (next to the Gold'n Plump chicken =
plant), Rock County:
  -American Avocet
  -Hudsonian Godwits
  -White-rumped Sandpiper (among the many Baird's)
  -Short-billed Dowitchers
  -American Golden-Plovers
  -Wilson's Phalaropes
-GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES: we found a pair in the marsh on the north side =
of the Hills sewage ponds in Rock County--there were at least 3 pairs =
here last year (we did not find any Great-taileds in Jackson County)
-American Woodcock, Whip-poor-will, Eastern Screech-Owl: all three heard =
in the stretch of woods to the east of the gravel pits northeast of =
Luverne, Rock Co.

Sunday:
 -another Spotted Towhee! in Blue Mounds State Park (near the beach area =
east of the headquarters), Rock County.  Jeff also saw a Spotted Towhee =
Friday afternoon in Jackson Co. near South Heron Lake, so that makes 3 =
Spotted Towhees in SW Minnesota this weekend!
-ROCK WREN: Split Rock Creek State Park, Pipestone Co.--thanks to Tony =
Hertzel and Paul Schumacher for posting the bird.  We learned this =
evening that the bird was relocated by Peder Svingen sometime this =
afternoon.
-Snowy Egrets--we found 3 birds in the wetlands just north of Thompson =
Lake, Big Stone Co. These could be the same three that were at Thielke =
Lake a few days ago.

We had a great time and will definitely do this again next year.  If =
you're wondering where to go birding this weekend, I'd suggest anywhere =
in southwest Minnesota!  Good birding!
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County
------=_NextPart_000_0123_01C43095.95AB2C20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This weekend Rick Hoyme, Jake Musser, =
Jeff=20
Stephenson, Chuck Krulas, Carol Schumacher, and I birded the southwest =
corner of=20
Minnesota.&nbsp; We had a spectacular weekend! Friday night enroute to =
meet the=20
other three in&nbsp;Jackson County, Rick, Jake, and I stopped by the Red =
Rock=20
Prairie in Cottonwood County in hopes of finding longspurs.&nbsp; We =
found no=20
longspurs, but we did run across a SPRAGUE'S PIPIT!&nbsp; Thanks to John =
Hockema=20
for posting the bird Friday night.&nbsp; We chased the pipit around the =
prairie=20
for about half an hour before we finally lost it.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here are the highlights from our =
trip:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Saturday:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Spotted Towhee: Robertson County Park =
in Jackson=20
County</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Ross's Goose: along Jackson CR 86 =
south of=20
I-90</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Willet:&nbsp;two birds in Jackson =
Co.--one at=20
Spirit Lake, another at&nbsp;North&nbsp;Heron Lake</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Shorebirds at Luverne sewage ponds =
(next to the=20
Gold'n Plump chicken plant), Rock County:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; -American Avocet</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; -Hudsonian Godwits</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; -White-rumped Sandpiper (among =
the many=20
Baird's)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; -Short-billed =
Dowitchers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; -American =
Golden-Plovers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; -Wilson's =
Phalaropes</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES: we found a pair =
in the=20
marsh on the north side of the Hills sewage ponds in Rock County--there =
were at=20
least 3 pairs here last year (we did not find any Great-taileds in =
Jackson=20
County)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-American Woodcock, Whip-poor-will, =
Eastern=20
Screech-Owl: all three heard in the stretch of woods to the east of the =
gravel=20
pits northeast of Luverne, Rock Co.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sunday:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-another Spotted Towhee! in Blue =
Mounds State=20
Park (near the beach area east of the headquarters), Rock County.&nbsp; =
Jeff=20
also saw a Spotted Towhee Friday afternoon in Jackson Co.&nbsp;near =
South Heron=20
Lake, so that makes 3 Spotted Towhees in SW Minnesota this =
weekend!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-ROCK WREN: Split Rock Creek State =
Park, Pipestone=20
Co.--thanks to Tony Hertzel and&nbsp;Paul Schumacher&nbsp;for posting =
the=20
bird.&nbsp; We learned this evening that the bird was relocated by Peder =
Svingen=20
sometime this afternoon.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Snowy Egrets--we found 3 birds in the =
wetlands=20
just north of Thompson Lake, Big Stone Co. These could be the same three =
that=20
were at Thielke Lake a few days ago.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We had a great time and will definitely =
do this=20
again next year.&nbsp; If you're wondering where to go birding this =
weekend, I'd=20
suggest anywhere in southwest Minnesota!&nbsp; Good =
birding!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver=20
County</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0123_01C43095.95AB2C20--