[mou] Hwy. 28 -westcentral MN

aabier aabier@earthlink.net
Fri, 7 May 2004 16:18:46 -0500

Yesterday I drove on Hwy 28 between Sauk Center and Morris.  On the
UMMorris campus I saw yellow-rumped warblers and chipping sparrows.  I
also 2 birds with head markings like chippings but backs were very
light brown, close to gold.  A breeding variant of chippings?
I headed back east about 6:30 pm.  In the first pond on the north side
of the road, at the west end across from Lake Minnesaska were a bunch
of shore birds - I think they were Lesser Yellowlegs.  Also there were
ducks there, also on a pond near Westport, with white patches that in
the book look like Blue-winged Teals, the sun was too low to get a good
look at much more than the white patches on head and wings.   Please
confirm my IDs if you can.  There were also a number of Franklin Gulls
in the second pond from the west around 2 pm, and they were flying away
on the return trip around 7.   We saw several pheasants in fields, and
one grouse in a field near Starbuck, didn't stop to check it out, any
idea what kind it probably was?  We saw Coots on several different
lakes.  There were Red-winged Blackbirds everywhere, and Mourning
Doves, and little brown birds flying north that I assume were sparrows
but couldn't get a good look.
We also saw 2 beautiful Great Egrets near Lake Minnesaska, and another
flying above the ditchline near Westport.
Anne Bier
Virginia (MN, not VA)