[mou] Marsh Wrens in Duluth

Laura Erickson lauraerickson@abac.com
Sat, 08 May 2004 17:57:34 -0500

This afternoon I took a walk at the Western Waterfront Trail in Duluth.  I
had a total of 41 species between 3:30 and 5 pm.  I've had 8 species of
warblers there this week, and in addition this afternoon, saw my first
Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Baltimore Oriole there.  One male Northern
Pintail has been hanging out there all week--he was still there, in the
open water just beyond the large cattail marsh at the entry to the
trail.  And best of all, I had at least two singing male, and one
non-singing male or female, Marsh Wrens.  They were NOT in the first big
cattail marsh, where you enter the trail from the parking lots on Grand
Avenue.  I followed that trail below the Indian Point Campground, past the
final little trail up into the campground, and up until the path takes a
sharp turn to the left at a small cattail marsh, before the pine
stands.  The wrens were in the cattails.  When a couple of people walked
by, talking, the wrens stopped singing for 7 or 8 minutes.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson