[mou] SW Minnesota - Willet, Hudsonian & Marbled Godwit - 5/15/04

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 23:56:44 EDT

-------------------------------1084679804

5/15/04

During the first of a field trip I am leading out of Redwood Falls, our group
headed out to a location in Lyon County reported by Roger Schroeder earlier
this month and scouted by Ron Erpelding on Friday.  The area is located just
East of the Town of Cottonwood in Lyon County.  From Hyw 23, go about a 1/2 mile
East on CR 10, then turn South on a dirt road near a fence line.  Continue on
this dirt road until the gate for the Cottonwood Sewage Ponds and park.  The
wetland with the shorebirds is S & SE of where you will be parked.  Today
there were 3 Willet's, 7 Hudsonian & 3 Marbled Godwits present.  In addition to
those birds there were two Ruddy Turnstones on a sandbar on Sham Lake just West
of the road to the sewage ponds.  Approximately 6 miles East of this location
in Yellow Medicine County along the North shore of Tyson Lake were 3 basic
plumaged Sanderlings.  On the 14th, 8 Sanderlings were present at that location.
Including 6 that were close to there breeding plumage.

We also encounter 18 species of warblers in several waves at Cedar Rock WMA
and Alexander Ramsey Park in Redwood County.  Philadelphia Vireo's are also
moving through the area, with at least one bird present at each location.
Several members of the group were also able to briefly see a Nelson's Sharp-tailed
Sparrow in the cattails on the North shore of the first lake you come to from
the parking area on the East side of Cedar Rock WMA in Redwood County,
representing a possible first county record.

Craig Mandel - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1084679804

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>5/15/04</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>During the first of a field trip I am leading out of Redwood Falls, our=
 group headed out to a location in Lyon County reported by Roger Schroeder e=
arlier this month and scouted by Ron Erpelding on Friday.&nbsp; The area is=20=
located just East of the Town of Cottonwood in Lyon County.&nbsp; From Hyw 2=
3, go about a 1/2 mile East on CR 10, then turn South on a dirt road near a=20=
fence line.&nbsp;&nbsp;Continue on this dirt road until the gate for the Cot=
tonwood Sewage Ponds and park.&nbsp; The wetland with the shorebirds is S &a=
mp; SE of where you will be parked.&nbsp; Today there were 3 Willet's, 7 Hud=
sonian &amp; 3 Marbled Godwits present.&nbsp; In addition to those birds the=
re were two Ruddy Turnstones on a sandbar on Sham Lake just West of the road=
 to the sewage ponds.&nbsp;&nbsp;Approximately 6 miles East of this location=
 in Yellow Medicine County along the North shore of Tyson Lake were 3 basic=20=
plumaged Sanderlings.&nbsp; On the 14th, 8 Sanderlings were present at that=20=
location.&nbsp; Including 6 that were close to there&nbsp;breeding plumage.&=
nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We also encounter 18 species of warblers in several waves at&nbsp;Cedar=
 Rock WMA and Alexander Ramsey Park in Redwood County.&nbsp; Philadelphia Vi=
reo's are also moving through the area, with at least one bird present at ea=
ch location.&nbsp;&nbsp;Several members of the group were also able to brief=
ly see a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow in the cattails on the North shore of=
 the first lake you come to from the parking area on the East side of Cedar=20=
Rock WMA in Redwood County, representing a possible first county record.</DI=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=