[mou] Painted Bunting/Becker Co.

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Sun, 16 May 2004 17:39:33 -0500

A male Painted Bunting has been seen regularly coming into feeders at a
residence 5-1/2 miles south of the city of Detroit Lakes in Becker County.

Apparently he has been a regular since Friday.  We saw it today (Sunday) at
about 1:00.  We had a wait of about 50 minutes, but when he did come in to
the feeders, he fed constantly for over 5 minutes.  The residents shared
many photos of the bird.

Specific directions:
Go 5-1/2 miles south of Detroit Lakes on Hwy 59.  Turn right, following
County Road 22 (this road takes you between two golf courses).  Go
approximately 1 mile, turn left after you pass the tennis courts onto Timber
Lane.  In this cul-de-sac, look for 12932 Timber Lane, wood-toned house.
Birders are welcome, and the owners have even set up some chairs for viewing
the feeder area.  The chairs are found around the right side of the house.

If the bunting sticks around for the Detroit Lakes Birding Festival next
weekend, he'll be a star!  According to the residents, he has already had a
photo op and is scheduled to hit the front page of the local newspapers
soon.

Thanks to Peder Svingen/Jim Lind/Diane Millard who quickly alerted area
birders.

--
Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Battle Lake, MN