[mou] Need help identifying bird

Meta Gaertnier gomerlin@comcast.net
Mon, 17 May 2004 09:38:39 -0500

Hi!  My husband and I were up on our land on the Snake River near Pine City
this weekend, and saw a bird, possibly a warbler, that I'm hoping you can
help us identify.

In addition to yellow-rumped warblers, American redstarts, tree swallows, an
indigo bunting, rose-breasted grosbeak (both sexes) and a scarlet tanager,
we saw a small, warbler sized bird that was brilliant yellow-orange in color
-- between the color of a goldfinch and the orange on a Baltimore oriole.
We couldn't get binoculars on it to get a close look, but it didn't seem to
have black or gray wings -- pretty much an all-over color.  It was hanging
out with warblers, was roughly the same size (could have been a bit larger)
and had the same flight patterns. It was mostly around the edge of the water
in the trees or in the grasses.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Meta Gaertnier
108 Maddaus Lane
Golden Valley, MN 55416