[mou] CORRECTION: Re:Piping Plovers in Anoka Cty

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 19:46:04 -0500

MN/MOU Birders,

Can you tell how red I am??? Beet. Now I shall try to salvage my reputation.
This ain't easy so here goes:

I was informed by John Hockema that he and Brother Chris along with Chris
Benson visited my Anoka Cty find today only to learn I saw SEMIPALMATED
along with Black bellied, not PIPING plovers. I misidentified some of the
plovers as PIPING when they were actually SEMIPALMATED. They correctly ID'ed
them.

I apologize for any false excitment,travel, distress etc. that I may have
caused anyone. I obviously do not know my plovers without a field guide and
(guess what I DIDN'T have with me this morning) tried to remember from the
recent MOU picture the look of the Piping, not remembering the Semipalmated
was a fairly close match. In my excitement (I saw a Swainson's Thrush in my
backyard this morning - pretty good for S. Mpls) I assumed, and we all know
what that does.

Lesson learned: if you bother to carry your binocs in the car, carry your
@#^&$% field guide too!! (all excused who have their's memorized)

Jim in S. Mpls

PS: by 6pm all the birds at that location were gone.

"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession
of character." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Life is short and therefore precious, and we should all keep the company of
the best people we can find, both in life and in books."
--Charley Reese