[mou] Poky little redpoll

Laura Erickson lauraerickson@abac.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 10:49:00 -0500

Just now I looked out at my feeders and what to my wondering eyes should
appear but a Common Redpoll.  I'd heard about one elsewhere in Duluth this
week.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.  In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly
unchanged.  And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of
change in the air--however slight--lest we become unwitting victims of the
darkness.

                                 --Justice William O. Douglas