[mou] cattle egret

Susan Johnson darsuej@webtv.net
Tue, 25 May 2004 18:34:45 -0500

Mon. May 24th my husband and I saw a pair of birds we had never seen
before. Today, May 25th we saw them again. This time I had my
binoculars. They bobbed their heads almost like a chicken, were snow
white except for a light brownish patch on the head, breast, and back
between the wings. They appeared to be feeding on the ground. They were
smaller than the usual egret, but had the hump shape and long neck.
Longer orangish yellow beak. We live in Meeker county on Lake Stella
north of Hutchinson. We have a field across from us where we first saw
them. Today they were in our back yard.       Susan Johnson