[mou] Pacific Loon

Steve and Sherry Watson watsup@boreal.org
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:04:24 -0800

	Hello All,

	This morning around 8:00-8:30 my dad and I re-located a pacific
loon at Five Mile Rock that John Hockema had originally found in the
east bay of Grand Marais.  The bird was a couple hundred yards out on
the almost glass still water and was very easy to see with my scope.  It
was very small and dark with a contrasting line between the dark and
white neck also containing a chin-strap.  Its head and neck were very
round and it was very slightly held upward but not much.  It also had a
very small bill and was diving continuously but stopped for awhile to
preen allowing us excellent views for about fifteen minutes.  We tried
re-locating the cattle egret at the ranch along CR-13 at fire number 85
but it was a bit early and we will try again later today.  Good birding
to all,

Josh Watson
Grand Marais

---