[mou] Knife River Lesser Black-backed Gull info

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:28:14 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4CB6A.C723CA80

Hello all:

Chris Wood who initially found a first winter plumage Lesser =
Black-backed Gull at knife River in Lake County on October 26th ran into =
Kim Eckert at a festival in Texas last week and viewed two pictures by =
myself and another birder.  Chris Wood and Michael O'Brien who according =
to Kim Eckert have a good background on Gulls, informed Kim that these =
are pictures of a Herring Gull.  A small juvenile Herring Gull.=20

Chris has pictures of the gull he discovered at Knife River on October =
26th.

So I sent my pictures of this odd gull to Bruce McTavish of New =
Foundland and Martin Reid of Texas.  Bruce agreed with Chris and Michael =
that this gull is a Herring Gull but Bruce is wondering if this could be =
a European Herring Gull. He wanted to see what the tail looked like and =
Jim Lind sent me some good tail shots.  I will post something if this =
gull turns out to be a odd Herring Gull race.

Many birders from all over Minnesota and other places reported on this =
listserve that they refound this gull may have to think twice about it =
now.  The weird thing about this gull is that it was obviously smaller =
than any age Herring Gull near it, it was slightly smaller than a =
Thayers Gull, the bill was smaller in length, the bill was all black, =
the head shape was rounder, the wing projection beyond the tail was 1.5 =
further than the bill and I remember the "mystery gull" of not having =
any windows at the base of the primaries in flight.=20

So based on all the field marks I needed to know what in the world is it =
than?  The answer its a Herring Gull. Maybe its a runt, a late hatchling =
or maybe the gull is a hybrid of some kind or maybe its a race of a =
Herring Gull like a European Herring Gull. Anyway its a Herring Gull.  =
That is why I love to look at gulls and study them.=20

If any birder that has pictures of they believe is the Lesser =
Black-backed Gull in Knife River I would be glad to see them.  Also a =
question may come up from the birders who went to Knife River and say =
"how do you know its the same gull I saw when I was there" good question =
and if you have any pictures I would like to see them.
=20
Mike Hendrickson
Duluth
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4CB6A.C723CA80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Hello all:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Chris Wood who initially =
found a first=20
winter plumage Lesser Black-backed Gull&nbsp;at knife River in Lake =
County on=20
October 26th&nbsp;ran into&nbsp;Kim Eckert at a festival in Texas last =
week and=20
viewed two pictures by myself and another birder.&nbsp; Chris Wood and =
Michael=20
O'Brien who according to Kim Eckert have a good background on Gulls, =
informed=20
Kim that these are pictures of a Herring Gull.&nbsp; A small juvenile =
Herring=20
Gull. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Chris has pictures of the =
gull he=20
discovered at Knife River on October 26th.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>So I sent my pictures of this =
odd gull to=20
Bruce McTavish of New Foundland and Martin Reid of Texas. &nbsp;Bruce =
agreed=20
with Chris and Michael that this gull is a Herring Gull but Bruce is =
wondering=20
if this could be a European Herring Gull. He wanted to see what the tail =
looked=20
like and Jim Lind sent me some good tail shots.&nbsp; I will post =
something if=20
this gull turns out to be a odd Herring Gull race.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Many birders from all over =
Minnesota and=20
other places reported on this listserve that they refound this gull may =
have to=20
think twice about it now.&nbsp; The weird thing about this gull is that =
it was=20
obviously smaller than any age Herring Gull near it, it was slightly =
smaller=20
than a Thayers Gull, the bill was smaller in length, the bill was all =
black, the=20
head shape was rounder, the wing projection beyond the tail was 1.5 =
further than=20
the bill and I remember&nbsp;the "mystery gull" of&nbsp;not having any =
windows=20
at the base of the primaries in flight. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>So based on all the field =
marks I needed=20
to know what in the world is it than?&nbsp; The answer its a Herring =
Gull. Maybe=20
its a runt, a late hatchling or maybe the gull is a hybrid of some kind =
or maybe=20
its a race of a Herring Gull like a European Herring Gull. Anyway its a =
Herring=20
Gull.&nbsp; That is why I love to look at gulls and study them. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>If any birder that has =
pictures of they=20
believe is the Lesser Black-backed Gull in Knife River I would be glad =
to see=20
them.&nbsp; Also a question may come up from the birders who went to =
Knife River=20
and say "how do you know its the same gull I saw when I was there" good =
question=20
and if you have any pictures I would like to see them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" =
size=3D4>Duluth</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4CB6A.C723CA80--