[mou] Northern Owl Patrol needed - Sales Pitch

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:03:41 -0600

I have been involved in conversations between the MN DNR, MN Audubon,
and the Bell Museum, talking about how we may best prepare to capture
the data about the owls that are moving south this year. =20
The U of MN has agreed to preserve specimens for potential study if they
can get someone to get them to them.  The DNR is considering using their
regional offices for Owl collection points for people to take dead
specimens to.  A quick gap analysis shows if we can get the Owls from
the DNR offices to the U of MN on a regular basis, then a loop is
closed. =20
I am told that if we don't get them picked up, the University of Chicago
makes the rounds quarterly and clean out the freezers.  It is important
for us to document this phenomenon and have the opportunity to determine
where these birds come from and why. I need a show of support of who
would be willing to help out as needed to transport frozen bagged owls
from DNR offices to the U of MN as the freezers get full. =20
If I get 20 names of volunteers statewide, I will continue to pursue it.
Please consider this request.  No one will be forced to do anything,
this is a volunteer deal. Many hands make light work. If you are willing
to be considered, please respond yes.  I am looking for a show of
interested parties here. Come on, MN Birders - we need you, from all
over the state, don't let Chicago win!!!
Reply to me on this email with a simple yes and your name, address,
county and phone number so I can build a contact list. =20

Mark Alt
Brooklyn Center, MN
Hennepin County