[mou] Nancy Newfield's hummingbird comments

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:34:10 -0600

Nancy Newfield, one of the foremost authorities on hummingbird
identification, writes:

The bird is probably an immature male, based on the amount of rusty
coloring around the face.  A young male should also have a rusty colored
rump and the central rectrices will predominately be rusty as well.  The
rump of a female should be green 99.9% of the time.  Her central rectrices
will be predominately green with a bit of rufous near the base.  Most adult
females have a central spot of iridescent red in the center of the
throat.  This can be more than half the throat or just a few red
feathers.  Immature females never have as much stippling and iridescence as
this bird has.  Details of color of the back, rump, and central rectrices
are not viewable in the images, so your notes might be helpful here.

It is impossible to determine whether the bird is a Rufous Hummingbird or
an Allen's Hummingbird from the available evidence.  The rusty undertail
coverts clearly eliminate Broad-tailed Hummingbird from consideration.

Rustiness around the face is often noted as a clue that an immature male
Selasphorus may be an Allen's, and the rustiness of the flanks and shading
of green on the back seem deeper on Allen's, but true identification should
rely on more concrete criteria.  My experience with Allen's is considerably
less than my experience with Rufous, so I would not hazard a guess with the
images available.

If the bird has rusty colored feathers on its upper back, it is clearly a
Rufous.  If the back is entirely green, Allen's is indeed a
possibility.  Images of the rectrices are too blurry to permit detailed
analysis, but the individual feathers appear to be a bit wider and longer
than usual for Allen's.  To me, the tail of an Allen's looks as if it were
sharpened in a pencil sharpener.

As for this bird's timing of feeding, I note that wintering hummers here in
Louisiana often close up shop by mid afternoon.

Hope this helps.  Though it is not particularly satisfying, unless all
identifying details can be documented, it is advisable to call it by the
genus Selasphorus rufus/sasin.

It's still dark outside.  If the bird turns up today, I will post as soon
as I notice it.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

NOTE address change: bluejay@lauraerickson.com

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson