[mou] Possible Lesser Black-backed Gull at Lake Calhoun, Mpls

Alex Cruz, Jr. acruzie@hotmail.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:19:08 -0800

Dear Birders,

This afternoon, Dan Karvonen birded Lake Calhoun, Mpls. At the northwest
end, about 75m offshore, we observed a first-year gull sitting on the water
for about half-an hour. I sketched it noting the following: smaller than
HeGu, much larger than RbGu; blackish primaries extended beyond tail giving
it a long appearance; brownish checkered upperparts contrasted with lighter
but streaked brown underparts; barred undertail; rounded head with
conspicuous whitish forehead and throat; and all black bill, not too heavy.
It floated on its own, sometimes associating with Herring Gulls. We think
this is a first-winter Lesser Black-backed Gull.

I have looked through Sibley, and The Handbook of Bird Identification for
Europe and the W. Palearctic and there is so much overlap with Herring
Gulls.  I am not sure if based on our observations that it is a LBbG. Any
feedback on gull experience in this area is appreciated. (A local birder
jogged by and I wish we were looking at this bird when he stopped by.)

Do the Lake Calhoun gullers know if a first-winter LBbG has been reported
recently? I looked through the posts but I've deleted some of the older
ones. We also saw 1 Common Loon and a pair of Ring-necked Ducks.

Looking up,
Alex Cruz
Crystal, MN