[mou] 30 GGOW, St Louis cty.

Hawkowls@aol.com Hawkowls@aol.com
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:26:47 EST

-------------------------------1101439607

    Today GGOWs were again present in large numbers. The largest
concentrations that I have encountered are in two general areas. The first is Hwy 47 and
Swan Lake Rd. The area of Hwy 47 is 3-5 miles south of Cty Rd 133. If you
continue on 47 until it intersects Swan Lake Rd and turn right, GGOWs are scattered
until it intersects with 5. The 2nd area is Melrude Rd, Comstock Lake Rd and
Munger Shaw Rd. I was taking Melrude from 53 to Comstock Lake, going left on
Comstock Lake until the dead end, that continues straight where Comstock Lake
curves left, and then backtracking and checking Munger Shaw for the first 5
miles or so. I also had a Barred on 47.
    I have also noticed that GGOWs in the same locations on consecutive days
are not neccisarily the same birds. When possible I have noted the presence or
lack of feather molt to determine if they are young or adult. I have found
birds of different ages in the same locations on consecutive days. I also had
the bird with some white greater coverts, the next day a different GGOW was in
the same location.
     The only NHOW that I had that may not have been reported before was on
Comstock Lake Rd, 1.7 after it veers left or dead ends if you continue straight.
    Yesterday and today I have seen birders that are not happy with full
frame views of GGOW in their binoculars. Today there was a  GGOW that could not
have been any closer to the road. I had passed it and was viewing it from ahead
when birders pulled up directly next to it behind me. They may not have
noticed it right away, and the bird did not flush. As I was pulling away I noticed
the birders moving their car from the opposite side of the road to the owls
side of the road. The tree the owl was in was within 10' of the road. The view
they had originally had to be amazing. I pulled a u-turn and when I went back,
needless to say, the owl was gone. That's not the way to get a good look at
these birds, and is just unnecessiary. By parking at a reasonable distance and
turning your motor off, you may be rewarded by an owl moving and perching right
next to your vehicle, this has happened to me several times in the last few
days. They are also often very tame with slow approach on foot. I really hate
preaching, but man that annoyed me today.
       Chris Neri

-------------------------------1101439607

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Today GGOWs were again present in large numbers. The=
 largest concentrations that I have encountered are in two general areas. Th=
e first is Hwy 47 and Swan Lake Rd. The area of Hwy 47 is 3-5 miles south of=
 Cty Rd 133. If you continue on 47 until it intersects Swan Lake Rd and turn=
 right, GGOWs are scattered until it intersects with 5. The 2nd area is Melr=
ude Rd, Comstock Lake Rd and Munger Shaw Rd. I was taking Melrude from 53&nb=
sp;to Comstock Lake,&nbsp;going left on Comstock Lake until the dead end, th=
at continues straight where Comstock Lake curves left, and then backtracking=
 and checking Munger Shaw for the first 5 miles or so. I also had a Barred o=
n 47.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have also noticed that&nbsp;GGOWs in the same loca=
tions on consecutive days are not neccisarily the same birds. When possible=20=
I have noted the presence or lack&nbsp;of&nbsp;feather molt to determine if=20=
they are young or adult. I have found birds of different ages in the same lo=
cations on consecutive days.&nbsp;I also had the bird with some white greate=
r coverts, the next day a different GGOW was in the same location. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The only NHOW that I had that may not have bee=
n reported before was on Comstock Lake Rd, 1.7 after it veers left&nbsp;or d=
ead&nbsp;ends if you continue straight.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yesterday and today I have seen birders that are not=
 happy with full frame views of GGOW in their binoculars. Today there was a&=
nbsp; GGOW that could not have been any closer to the road. I&nbsp;had passe=
d it and was viewing it from ahead when birders pulled up directly next to i=
t behind me. They may&nbsp;not have noticed it right away, and the bird did=20=
not flush.&nbsp;As I was pulling away I noticed the birders moving their car=
 from the opposite side of the road to the owls side of the road. The tree t=
he owl was in was within 10' of the road.&nbsp;The view they had originally=20=
had to be amazing. I pulled a u-turn and when I went back, needless to say,=20=
the owl was gone. That's not the way to get a good look at these birds, and&=
nbsp;is just unnecessiary. By parking at a reasonable distance and turning y=
our motor off, you may be rewarded by an owl moving and perching right next=20=
to your vehicle, this has happened to me several times in the last few days.=
 They are also often very tame with slow approach on foot. I really hate pre=
aching, but man that annoyed me today.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Chris Neri</DIV></BODY></HTML>