[mou] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher & Short-eared Owl - Duluth, St. Louis Co.

Jim Barrett jwbarrett10@msn.com
Fri, 08 Oct 2004 03:55:48 +0000

A quick message to amend Tom's post.

First, thanks to Tom for finding the STFL, and to Mike Hendrickson for
alerting me quickly. Tom told me about the Short-eared Owl and, when I went
to look for it, found not one but six (6) of them.  They were in the
location Tom described (which, I just realized, would actually be  the east
corner of the pier, based on its orientation).

They flew, one-by-one, out of the grass around the eastern edge of the
excavated area visible from the top of the dike as you approach the corner.
One of them (#5) sat for awhile on a mound of dirt then, as I put the scope
away, the sixth flew up from between me and the owl I was watching.

As I followed the dike around to the south corner (Bong Bridge corner) two
SE Owls flew from a bulldozed strip, but I'm fairly certain they were two of
the first to flush from the original location.

Also: 5 Am. Pipits
        N. Harrier
        Spotted Sandpiper

Jim Barrett