[mou] Blue Mounds/Sky Prairie-10/11

SFbirdclub@aol.com SFbirdclub@aol.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:32:41 EDT

--part1_1f8.bb142f.2e9da779_boundary

Hello Birders,

Three of us from Sioux Falls headed to SW Minnesota today. Luverne/Blue
Mounds is only about 30 minutes from us.

We saw 64 sp. with some very good birds. Refound the Winter Wren, Pine Siskin
and the Purple Finch and saw a Gray-cheeked and Swainson's Thrush in the same
area as the wren. Missed the E Collared Dove, but that's why we go birding
the next time.

We saw a few American Pipit and a possible Sprague's (at   Touch-the-Sky
Prairie), many sparrow incl. several Harris' in various plumages and a few
warbler: the best for us was Canada. Many Meadowlarks were singing at the prairie.

There was an immature male Great-tailed Grackle at the Luverne "ponds" as
well as a Buff-breasted Sandpiper, a few dowitcher (some Identifiable as
Short-billed), yellowlegs (one Lesser called), a pair of Common Snipe and a few Least
Sandpiper. Of course, if you're wondering, we didn't miss the many Killdeer.
Cackling Geese and Gadwall and a lone Redhead were present.

But the best bird for us was a Pileated Woodpecker in the grove along the RR
tracks at the Luverne ponds. What a sight for SW MN or SE SD!

Sharing is half the fun of birding.

Doug Chapman
Cary Feldman
Mick Zerr
Sioux Falls, SD

--part1_1f8.bb142f.2e9da779_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gen=
eva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">Hello Birders,<BR>
<BR>
Three of us from Sioux Falls headed to SW Minnesota today. Luverne/Blue Moun=
ds is only about 30 minutes from us.<BR>
<BR>
We saw 64 sp. with some very good birds. Refound the Winter Wren, Pine Siski=
n and the Purple Finch and saw a Gray-cheeked and Swainson's Thrush in the s=
ame area as the wren. Missed the E Collared Dove, but that's why we go birdi=
ng the next time.<BR>
<BR>
We saw a few American Pipit and a possible Sprague's (at&nbsp;  Touch-the-Sk=
y Prairie), many sparrow incl. several Harris' in various plumages and a few=
 warbler: the best for us was Canada. Many Meadowlarks were singing at the p=
rairie.<BR>
<BR>
There was an immature male Great-tailed Grackle at the Luverne "ponds" as we=
ll as a Buff-breasted Sandpiper, a few dowitcher (some Identifiable as Short=
-billed), yellowlegs (one Lesser called), a pair of Common Snipe and a few L=
east Sandpiper. Of course, if you're wondering, we didn't miss the many Kill=
deer. Cackling Geese and Gadwall and a lone Redhead were present.<BR>
<BR>
But the best bird for us was a Pileated Woodpecker in the grove along the RR=
 tracks at the Luverne ponds. What a sight for SW MN or SE SD!<BR>
<BR>
Sharing is half the fun of birding.<BR>
<BR>
Doug Chapman<BR>
Cary Feldman<BR>
Mick Zerr<BR>
Sioux Falls, SD</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANS=
SERIF" SIZE=3D"2"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_1f8.bb142f.2e9da779_boundary--