[mou] Excellent Lyon County birding Day

ignacio_magpie@rohair.com ignacio_magpie@rohair.com
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:01:16 -0500 (CDT)

13-Oct-04

First, I'm reporting a Lesser Black-backed Gull at Black Rush Lake in the
basin north of CR 59.

This individual was about the same size [slightly larger] as Ring-billed
Gulls present. It had a very dark gray mantle, white head, neck, and
breast, and showed a white, unblemished tail. The wing tips were black,
with no white "windows" present when the bird extended its wings for a
stretch. The entire head, hindneck, and side of the neck of was white with
buff-gray streaking - especially near the top of the hear around;
concentrating in the area around the eyes. This streaking was faint lower
on the front and sides of the neck, and almost absent on the hindneck. Its
bill was bright golden-yellow with a red oval spot on the lower mandible
near the gonys - the oval's length extending horizontally along the lower
mandible. Eye color was light yellow with a dark iris. Leg color was not
observed.

Also in this location was a plegadis sp. It was flying around too much to
ID conclusively. If that's not enough, a female or immature Peregring
Falcon was also flying around; trying (without success) to grab a
Franklin's Gull for lunch.

Finally, not far from this location in a new development just south of the
city limits of Lynd (in the area of the sewage ponds) were 4 Smith's
Longspurs. They kicked up while on the construction equipment road down
toward the new wetland being created for the development. They were seen
at very close range for several minutes. A LeConte's Sparrow was also seen
in this area.

Looks like I got all my October birding done in one day.
Roger Schroeder
Marshall, MN