[mou] Re: Cell phones and MOU-Net

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:45:59 -0500

--=_644447DC.5C3C4B16

This I knew about, as obviously any phone with email capability can
subscribe to any list server you want to, with whatever restriction your
cell phone company places on message length being the limiting factor.
What they have in the UK is an alert system through cell phones/pagers.
I'd imagine (and this is only a guess) that it is some sort of special
list server set up that is subscribed to where people post very brief
messages in a certain pre-defined format so that quick alerts can be
sent throughout the UK when a rare bird is found.  Since "Twitching" is
so popular in the UK, this bird alert system they have set up is also
real popular.  I wonder if a similar sort of thing could be set up for
Minnesota.  Some sort of simple short message format could be set up as
follows:

Examples:

Black-headed Gull - Jackson - N end Spirit Lake - 4pm
Great-Grey Owl - Aitkin - Cty Rd 18 1/4mi W Pietz's - 4:30pm

or if I get Clark's Nutcracker tomorrow i'd send:

Clark's Nutcracker - Lake - 144 Edison Blvd in Silver Bay  - 8:45am

etc.

Re-found birds with previously posted locations could just send or some
such.

Clark's Nutcracker - Lake - Refound 8:45am 10/16

That way people can get immediate information on if a rare bird has
been refound without needing to be at their computers to either get this
information or send it.

If such a system would be desirable I have the capability of setting
something up on my domain at avianphotos.org if need be.

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD (UDLP-GSD 'til Nov 1)
Fridley, MN (San Jose, CA 'til Nov 1)
(763) 572-5320
(408) 289-3840 ('til Nov 1)
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> "Paul Budde" <Paul.Budde@us.benfieldgroup.com> 10/15/2004 09:07:55
AM >>>

Per Chris’s question, we’ve had this capacity since the beginning of
mou-net.  Folks with phones that can receive e-mail messages can
subscribe their phone—just like their computer--to mou-net.  If you
cannot send a message to the mailman server from your phone, mou-net
administrators can subscribe the account manually.  Just send us the
address for your phone.  You can get that from your phone service
provider.  Please note that typically such messages are limited to 150
characters of text.Paul

--=_644447DC.5C3C4B16

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>This I knew about, as obviously any phone with email capability can
subscribe to any list server you want to, with whatever restriction your cel
phone company places on message length being the limiting factor.&nbsp; What

they have in the UK is an alert system through cell phones/pagers.&nbsp; I'd

imagine (and this is only a guess) that it is some sort of special list serv
 er
set up that is subscribed to where people post very brief messages in a cert
 ain
pre-defined format so that quick alerts can be sent throughout the UK when a

rare bird is found.&nbsp; Since "Twitching" is so popular in the UK, this bi
 rd
alert system they have set up is also real popular.&nbsp; I wonder if a simi
 lar
sort of thing could be set up for Minnesota.&nbsp; Some sort of simple short

message format could be set up as follows:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&lt;species&gt; - &lt;county&gt; - &lt;location&gt; - &lt;time/date if
necessary&gt;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Examples:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Black-headed Gull - Jackson - N end Spirit Lake - 4pm</DIV>
<DIV>Great-Grey Owl - Aitkin - Cty Rd 18 1/4mi W Pietz's - 4:30pm</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>or&nbsp;if I get Clark's Nutcracker tomorrow i'd send:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Clark's Nutcracker - Lake - 144 Edison Blvd in Silver Bay &nbsp;-
8:45am</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>etc.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Re-found birds with previously posted locations could just send or some

such.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Clark's Nutcracker - Lake - Refound 8:45am 10/16</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>That way people can get immediate information on if a rare bird has bee
refound without needing to be at their computers to either get this informat
 ion
or send it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If such a system would be desirable I have the capability of setting
something up on my domain at avianphotos.org if need be.<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Chris Fagyal<BR>Senior Software Engineer<BR>United Defense, L.P. ASD
(UDLP-GSD 'til Nov 1)<BR>Fridley, MN (San Jose, CA 'til Nov 1)<BR>(763)
572-5320<BR>(408) 289-3840 ('til Nov 1)<BR><A
href="mailto:chris.fagyal@udlp.com">chris.fagyal@udlp.com</A><BR><BR>&gt;&gt
 ;&gt;
"Paul Budde" &lt;Paul.Budde@us.benfieldgroup.com&gt; 10/15/2004 09:07:55 AM
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR></DIV>
<DIV class=Section1>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial color=blue size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Per Chris’s questio
 n,
we’ve had this capacity since the beginning of mou-net.&nbsp; Folks with pho
 nes
that can receive e-mail messages can subscribe their phone—just like their
computer--to mou-net.&nbsp; If you cannot send a message to the mailman serv
 er
from your phone, mou-net administrators can subscribe the account
manually.&nbsp; Just send us the address for your phone.&nbsp; You can get t
 hat
from your phone service provider.&nbsp; Please note that typically such mess
 ages
are limited to 150 characters of text.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial color=blue size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Paul</SPAN></FONT><
 BR><BR><FONT
face=Arial color=blue size=2><SPAN
style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN><
 /FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_644447DC.5C3C4B16--