[mou] Grand Marais harbor development

Kim R Eckert kreckert@cpinternet.com
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:53:49 -0500

I and others recently received a letter from active birder and MOU
member Molly Hoffman of Grand Marais. She is seeking letters/e-mails
from birders who would be opposed to the proposed development of a
"large-scale marina" in the Grand Marais harbor. According to Molly,
one of the proposals supported by the mayor is for a 250-slip marina.
Since the harbor is a key birding area on the North Shore of Lake
Superior, I am of the opinion that this is an appropriate topic for
mou-net. Because I am not familar with all the details of this issue,
and since Molly does not have a telephone or e-mail at home, for
further information it is suggested that interested persons contact the
Alliance to Protect the Historic Grand Marais Harbor, c/o Pete Harris,
<harrispc@boreal.org>. Note that the next public meeting on the
development is on Monday, October 25.

Here is a portion of Molly's letter of October 15:

"A large-scale marina is being proposed for the Grand Marais harbor.
These marina plans convert public beach to interior marina space and
destroy views with imposing breakwalls. Cook County citizens, united as
the Alliance to Protect the Historic Grand Marais Harbor, are opposing
these development plans and they need your support. There is a public
meeting to discuss the marina plans on October 25th. Pete Harris and
Molly Hoffman are part of the Alliance.

"Pete will print and collect your e-mail to present at this meeting.
E-mail arriving after the meeting will help as the effort to stop the
development continues: harrispc@boreal.org.

"Molly will collect your letters to present at the meeting: Molly
Hoffman, 196 County Road 44, Grand Marais, MN 55604.

"If you wish to make your displeasure known directly you can send
letters to: City of Grand Marais, Harbor Committee, P. O. Box 600,
Grand Marais, MN 55604.

"Let the development folks know that you like this Grand Marais harbor
the way it is. Let them know that there are a lot of birders who visit
and contribute to the economy of Grand Marais."

Kim Eckert