[mou] CUSA Not.

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:10:13 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4B9F4.B511ADD0

I posted a probable Curelw Sandpiper yesterday and told readers that the =
photos taken by Bill Schmoker. I errored yesterday calling him Bob!

 Anyway the photos were examined and looked at by Chris Woods, Peder =
Svingen and Phil Chu.  I talked to Peder today and they feel the bird is =
most likely a Dunlin.  I had my doubts but felt pretty good about what I =
saw. What happened was a flock of shorebirds zipped by and one had a =
white rump. The birds landed on the beach and Bill and I took noticed of =
the larger shorebird and the long bill that looked to us to be quite =
curved. We observed the shorebird from about 120 yards away through our =
scopes. From that distance we saw a scaly upper parts, a long bill that =
curved from the base.  Bill started to take photos and I was looking for =
any hints of grey parts on the back to prove to me that this is a =
Dunlin. After a few moments of trying to see Dunlin field marks we kept =
realizing we were not getting definite looks to make this a Dunlin. So I =
stopped looking for a brief moment to call some birders about this bird. =
When I looked up, Bill told me the birds took off. I began to take notes =
on what I saw and Bill began to review his photos. Bill showed me how in =
one of the pictures that the wings went beyond the tail and a white area =
between the bill and the eye. We thought we nailed it and I began to =
call more birders.

Well the funny thing is that while Peder and others looked at the photos =
one of the background birds was a White-rumped Sandpiper ( white rumped =
bird that flew by us)  and also both Bill and I knew that there wasn't =
the buffy sides on this birds and there were some light streaking giving =
it a "bib" look.  In Sibley we saw that the "bib" look can be seen in =
CUSA but in the photos they saw last night showed it was more of a grey =
color and combined with some light streaking on the "bib". This then =
points to Dunlin vs CUSA.

So overall I am happy about the events in the last day.  Not at all =
bummed. I learned a great deal about CUSA in the last two days. I also =
want to thank Peder Svingen (MOURC chairman), Phil Chu, and Chris Woods =
for putting the time in late last night looking at Bill photos.=20

This is also a clear example on how helpful MOURC members are in helping =
birders struggle over difficult identifications such as a Curlew =
Sandpiper. =20

Since I am not a member of WisBird, the postings yesterday were =
forwarded to WI birders listserve. I hoped no one chased the bird from =
Wisconsin. I hoped by calling it a "probable" CUSA  it would make =
birders hold off on chasing it.  I also have email addresses of birders =
in WI.  So next time I ask people on the MOU-Net to hold off on =
forwarding sightings from WI Pt. to WisBird. I can email the sighting =
directly to those folks that can spread the word.=20

Thank You.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth
------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4B9F4.B511ADD0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>I posted a probable Curelw =
Sandpiper=20
yesterday and told readers that the photos taken by Bill Schmoker. I =
errored=20
yesterday calling him Bob!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>&nbsp;Anyway the photos were =
examined and=20
looked at by Chris Woods, Peder Svingen and Phil Chu.&nbsp; I talked to =
Peder=20
today and they feel the bird is most likely a Dunlin.&nbsp; I had my =
doubts but=20
felt pretty good about what I saw. What happened was a flock of =
shorebirds=20
zipped by and one had a white rump. The birds landed on the beach and =
Bill and I=20
took noticed of the larger shorebird and the long bill that looked to us =
to be=20
quite curved. We observed the&nbsp;shorebird from about 120 yards away =
through=20
our scopes. From that&nbsp;distance&nbsp;we saw a scaly upper parts, a =
long bill=20
that curved from the base.&nbsp; Bill started to take photos and I was =
looking=20
for any hints of grey parts on the back to prove to me that this is a =
Dunlin.=20
After a few moments of trying to see Dunlin field marks we kept =
realizing=20
we&nbsp;were not getting definite looks to make this a Dunlin. So I =
stopped=20
looking&nbsp;for a brief moment to call some birders about this bird. =
When I=20
looked up, Bill told me the birds took off. I&nbsp;began to take notes =
on what I=20
saw and Bill began to review his photos. Bill&nbsp;showed me how in one =
of the=20
pictures that the wings went beyond the tail and a white area between =
the bill=20
and the eye. We thought we nailed it and I began to call more=20
birders.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Well the funny thing is that =
while Peder=20
and others looked at the photos one of the background birds was a=20
White-rumped&nbsp;Sandpiper ( white rumped bird that flew by=20
us)&nbsp;</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>and also =
both Bill and I=20
knew that there wasn't the buffy sides on this birds and there were some =
light=20
streaking giving it a "bib" look.&nbsp; In Sibley we saw that the "bib" =
look can=20
be seen in CUSA but in the photos they saw last night showed it was more =
of a=20
grey color and combined with some light streaking on the "bib". This =
then points=20
to Dunlin vs CUSA.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>So overall I am happy =
about&nbsp;the=20
events in the last day. &nbsp;Not at all bummed. I learned a great deal =
about=20
CUSA in the last two days. I also want to thank Peder Svingen (MOURC =
chairman),=20
Phil Chu, and Chris Woods for putting the time in late last night =
looking at=20
Bill photos. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>This is also a clear example =
on how=20
helpful MOURC members are in helping birders struggle over difficult=20
identifications such as a Curlew Sandpiper.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Since I am not a member of =
WisBird, the=20
postings yesterday were forwarded to WI birders listserve. I hoped no =
one chased=20
the bird from Wisconsin. I hoped by calling it a "probable" CUSA&nbsp; =
it would=20
make birders hold off on chasing it.&nbsp; I also have email addresses =
of=20
birders in WI.&nbsp; So next time I ask people on the MOU-Net to hold =
off on=20
forwarding sightings from WI Pt. to WisBird. I can email the sighting =
directly=20
to those folks that can spread the word.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Thank You.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" =
size=3D4>Duluth</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4B9F4.B511ADD0--