[mou] Thayer's Gulls at Lake Calhoun

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:06:28 -0500

This evening I observed two juvenile/1st winter Thayer's Gulls at Lake Calhoun
in Hennepin County.  They were hanging out among the Herring Gulls, which were
separated from the larger flock of Ring-billed Gulls.  Both birds were fairly
easy to pick out from the juvenile/1st winter Herring Gulls; the cream-colored
primaries showed little contrast with the rest of the body on both birds.  When
flying, the primary and secondary pattern was also easy to see on each bird.
Unfortunately, I did not find the Lesser Black-backed Gull, but there were
still birds flying in at 5:45 as I left the area.
-Bob Dunlap, Nicolett County