[mou] Koochiching Ross's Goose

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:56:02 EDT

I was surprised to find a single juvenile Ross's Goose in a farm field at the
northwest corner of Hwy 1 and Koochiching Cty 14/81 intersection.  The goose
was about .2 mile west of that intersection on Hwy 1.  It matched point for
point the picture of the white juvenile Ross's on page 78 of Sibley's.  We
observed it with binoculars and scope for 20 minutes from about 8:30 a.m. the
morning of September 8.  The only companions it had were sparrows and one brightly
colored meadowlark.  The majority of the sparrows were Savannah and a few
Vesper.
On the 7th we found at least one Three-toed Woodpecker at the spot 2.3 miles
south of Hwy 1 on Cty 13.  What a thrill!!  We only saw one individual at a
time on 3 occasions.  We saw a male each time.  We observed the woodpecker from
4:30-4:40 the afternoon of the 7th.  We also encountered a few warblers -
Blackburnian and Black-throated Green being the most numerous, along with Common
Yellowthroats.  Boreal Chickadees were hard to coax, but we finally saw a small
flock on the 8th.  The only Black-billed Magpie we saw was in International
Falls.

How could I forget those harbingers of winter?  We also saw a Dark-eyed Junco
and White-throated Sparrows.  All the sitings were on Cty. 13.

Good birding!
Linda Sparling
Hennepin County