[mou] Townsend's Warbler - north metro

COLE FOSTER blackburnian@msn.com
Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:59:21 +0000

Between 1:00 and 1:30 this afternoon I saw a Townsend’s Warbler in northern
Anoka County.  The bird was seen at the southeast end of Linwood Lake in a
large stand of white pines.  Linwood Lake is about 7 miles west of the town
of Wyoming.  There’s a hiking trail that runs along the eastern shore of
Linwood Lake  which can be accessed from the park entrance at the north end
of the lake from Co Rd 22 (a/k/a Viking Blvd).  A dirt road leads to a paved
parking area and a boat ramp.  The trail is easily seen from the parking
area, and it’s about a mile walk from this point to the stand of white pines
where the bird was seen.

There may be a shorter way to get to the stand of white pines from the south
end of the lake.  Take Jordell street north past Boot Lake SNA until you
come to a T-intersection, then turn right at the T and park at the dead end.
  I think there’s a way to access the trail from this dead-end, though I
haven’t tried myself.  The stand of white pines are, however, very near
where this road dead-ends.

The bird is either an adult female or a first-year male.  It was associating
fairly closely with a couple Black-throated Greens (both male and female),
and a Blackburnian was also in the area.  The Townsend’s Warbler is fairly
easy to separate from these two species.  There weren’t many birds in the
area of the white pines, so the bird may not be hard to relocate if it
sticks around.  The stand of white pines runs close to a quarter of a mile
north and south along the lake.  It was last seen close to the trail about
midway into the area with the white pines.

A male Black-throated Blue warbler was also seen at the south end of the
trail in the area with the white pines.  Maybe something else to look and
listen for.

Cole Foster