[mou] Hummingbird ID

birder-birding5331@mailblocks.com birder-birding5331@mailblocks.com
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:05:02 -0700

Chris

At first I thought it was either a Rufous or Allen's Hummingbird, but
their sides and under the tail are to brightly colored. The one I seen
was lightly colored and under the tail was white.
The Rufous and Allen's Hummingbird are the same size as the
Ruby-throated Hummingbird according to my field guide. I seen two other
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds there. The one I seen was smaller than the
others.
I seen it sit near the feeder its wings reached to the end of of its
tail, also. The Rufous and Allen's Hummingbirds wings come short of the
tail.

Nathan Wersal
Springfield
Brown County

-----Original Message-----
From: CKEOWN4853@aol.com
To: birder-birding5331@mailblocks.com
Sent: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:28:37 EDT
Subject: Re: [mou] Hummingbird ID Help

Check your guide book for a look at Rufous and Allen's hummingbird.
While
they are west coast birds they have been sighted in the east. Both have
reddish/rust colors on the sides and immature and females fit your
description.
Be
aware it would be a very unusual sighting for Minnesota. Hope you got
photos!

Chris Keown

Mailblocks - A Better Way to Do Email
http://about.mailblocks.com/info