[mou] Owls and ducks

John Green jgreen@d.umn.edu
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:42:58 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

On Saturday John and I came back from the "Ducks, Wetlands, and Clean
Water" Rally at the state capitol via back roads zig-zaging from Hinckley
up to State Hwy. 23 at Bruno and then up Hwy. 23 to Carlton Co. roads #1,
102, and 4.  We saw 8 Great Gray Owls in Pine County and 5 in Carlton
County, between 4:45 and 6:45 pm.

Today, Sunday April 2nd, was perfectly calm and the ice in the Duluth
harbor was breaking up with open water from Hearding Island to northwest
edge of the Recreation Center.  Lake Superior is all open with lots of
floating ice.  I saw 17 species of waterfowl, including a male Harlequin
Duck.  The other species were:
	100 Canada Geese
	3 Wood Duck
	pr. American Wigeon