[mou] Wilson's Snipe? RQD? >> Common vs. Wilson's Snipe?

MARTELL, Mark MMARTELL@audubon.org
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:31:00 -0400

The AOU Checklist of North American birds (the official keeper of these =
things) shows both the Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata) and the =
Common Snipe (Gallinag gallinago). Further digging shows that the AOU =
decided in 2002 that the Wilson's Snipe was a different species than the =
Common Snipe (which occurs in the old world as well) and split it off. =
Thus some of the older reference's may not have noted the change.

Mark Martell
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Minnesota
2357 Ventura Drive #106
St. Paul, MN 55125
651-739-9332
651-731-1330 (FAX)

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu]On
Behalf Of J Ferguson
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:22 PM
To: bice0004@umn.edu; mou-net@cbs.umn.edu
Subject: RE: [mou] Wilson's Snipe? RQD? >> Common vs. Wilson's Snipe?

Sorry, Andy...no answer, but I have similar question for =
someone/everyone. =20
My Nat'l Geo Birds 3rd ed. mentions the "Common Snipe" but no Wilson's.  =
The=20
Sibley Eastern mentions the "Wilson's Snipe", as does the MOU MN birds=20
checklist, but no Common.  The Latin species names are different =
(according=20
to the two books), though the genus is the same.  Are these really the =
same=20
bird?  Subspecies?  Do we only get one kind of snipe in MN?  That is, is =
a=20
snipe (that would be found in MN) just a snipe?

Thanks!

Jonathan Ferguson