[mou] Fwd: [wisb] Re: Nexrad tonight

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:08:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Idzikowski" <idzikoj@uwm.edu>
Date: April 9, 2005 10:26:20 AM CDT
To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@lawrence.edu>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Nexrad tonight

It's nice to see that someone is using the Nexrad site, understanding
what
they are seeing AND losing sleep over migration.... Last night was
essentially the beginning of the big movements out of Mexico altho these
have been building over the last three weeks. Together with just more
Neotropicals beginning to migrate as well as a perfect weather system
flow,
last night was great for a tailwind. There is a High over the Gulf and a
High to our east making for a strong southerly flow on the backsides of
both
systems. Nights like this will be regular but not nightly from now on.
We
saw a major arrival of Hermit
Thrushes last night.

For those of you that have access to the Internet during the day you can
view Gulf crossers landing on the northern Gulf Coast beginning in the
late
morning and into the afternoon following good nights. Use the Weather
Underground or UCAR sites linked from the Nexrad site and stay with the
Houston or Lake Charles image; check the Base Radial Velocity for
direction
of movement. Note how high they come in over the radar (there will be a
big
hole in the donut or partial donut that is formed). If a bird flies
higher
over the Gulf it has better winds perhaps and a longer distance to the
water
when it hits a headwind. On most days note that they continue to head
inland- you'll see lots of detections north of the radar- often
continuing
beyond radar detection as they do not seek first land. We are still
about
4.5 weeks away from the beginning of our peak nights here. Right now in
mid-morning the coastal hoppers are still moving over Brownsville, TX.
The
vast majority of migrants probably take this safer route. Let's not
forget
the island hoppers coming into Florida and the Gulf via the Caribbean
seen
on the Key West radar. Included in this group later on will be
Black-throated Blue and Connecticut Was. Here's a velocity image of
Corpus
Christi of a 20+ dbz movement- the reddest reds indicate targets moving
fastest away from the radar the bluest blues towards the radar.

http://my.execpc.com/CE/5F/idzikoj/nexrad/409corpuschristi.jpg

John I, Milwaukee