[mou] c. goldeneye nesting

Bill Tefft b.tefft@vcc.edu
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:25:12 -0500

It surprised me yesterday to find a hen common goldeneye in a nest
cavity this early in the spring.   It was interesting that a pileated
woodpecker had been in this cavity last Wednesday and a few days before
that.  I am not sure if the goldeneye will continue to be in the cavity
or when it might start laying eggs.  Anyone know if goldeneyes can oust
pileateds or if they just jump in when there is an opportunity to claim
a space and lay some eggs.

The tree is about a quarter of a mile from water which is not unusual.
It may have been surprised while it was house shopping or house sitting.

Bill Tefft
Parks and Recreation Instructor
Vermilion Community College
1900 E. Camp Street