[mou] Unusual Redhead: Steele County

Ken & Rebecca Vail krvail@myclearwave.net
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:27:20 -0500

On Saturday (4/16/05) morning I observed from the boat launch area at Rice
Lake State Park (Steele Co.) an unusually colored Redhead.  All field marks
including bill, head shape and body suggested Redhead except for the head
color which I would describe unscientifically as "strawberry blonde."  The
head color suggested Red-crested Pochard but had none of the black markings
or other field marks.  This bird's head color contrasted sharply with the
deep chestnut of the other Redheads with which it was swimming.

Any ideas?  Exotic, hybrid, or just an aberrant Redhead?

Ken Vail
Blooming Prairie, MN
krvail@myclearwave.net