[mou] Crex Meadows bird festival May 14

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:04:44 -0500

Crex Meadows Wildlife Area
2005 Bird Festival

On Saturday, May 14, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and=20=

the Friends of Crex will host a bird festival at the Crex Meadows=20
Wildlife Area in Grantsburg, WI.=A0The festival coincides with=20
International Migratory Bird Day.=A0The event, which runs from 9 am =
until=20
5 pm, is open to the public and most events are free.

Birds are the focus of this event. Crex Meadows is well known as one of=20=

the premiere bird viewing areas in the Midwest.=A0More than 270 kinds of=20=

birds, including many rare and endangered species, have been seen on=20
this 30,000 acre wildlife area.=A0This is a great opportunity to learn=20=

about birds and bird management.=A0Visitors will see a large variety of=20=

birds including trumpeter swans, loons, eagles, osprey, and sandhill=20
cranes.

Events include guided bus tours of Crex Meadows.=A0Buses leave the=20
Visitor Center at 9 am, 11 am, 1 pm, and 3pm for a 90-minute bird=20
watching tour.=A0Bus tickets are available at the Visitor Center the day=20=

of the event (a nominal donation is requested to cover the costs of bus=20=

rental).

Our Early Bird Tour (6:30-9am) is geared toward the more serious=20
birder.=A0We will go to some of the out-of-the-way spots to search for=20=

the uncommon, less conspicuous species.=A0Reservations are required for=20=

this tour and the cost is $5.00 (call 715-463-2739)=A0

If you like to get away from the crowds and enjoy being on the water,=20
sign up for a guided canoe/kayak tour.=A0Canoe/kayak tours are scheduled=20=

for 10 am, noon, and 2 pm.=A0We will supply the canoe/kayak for a small=20=

fee or you can bring your own.

Guided bird hikes and various bird related presentations are scheduled=20=

throughout the day.=A0Join our local birders for a leisurely stroll=20
around the Visitor Center grounds to identify some of the common bird=20
residents or take part in a variety of bird related presentations=20
including; =93Wisconsin Raptors=94, =93Birding Through a Camera Lens=94, =
and=20
=93Birding by Ear=94.=A0

Birding banding demonstrations will also be held throughout the=20
day.=A0Tag along with bird bander Bruce Bacon as he tends the mist nets=20=

and bands a variety of song birds.

Make sure to fuel-up at the Friends of Crex food stand and check out=20
the Bog Shoe Store for a variety of bird books, gifts, and souvenirs.

For more information call 715-463-CREX (2739).