[mou] Dakota County Birdin'

Chris Fagyal cfagyal@avianphotos.org
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:11:34 -0500

Went to a few places in Hennepin & Dakota County before the winds really
got fierce.  Interesting was a Loggerhead Shrike at 140th St Marsh.  I'd
never seen one there before.  The Swainson's Hawk that has been hanging
around that area near Cty Rd 42 and Connelly the last few years seems to
be back.  Saw it perched and also soaring overhead.  The following was
also seen:

140th:
-------
Swainson's Hawk
Loggerhead Shrike
Vesper Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow

Amazingly, with great shorebird habitat, there were no shorebirds except
for a few Killdeer.  Rather disappointing.

Old Cedar Ave
Yellow-headed Blackbirds
Swamp Sparrows

Also found the Black-crowned Night-Heron at Roberts Bird Sanctuary in
Hennpin county, and had a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on my way back to the car.

Cheers,
Chris