[mou] Birding out West (Black-Necked Stilt!)

Leodwm@aol.com Leodwm@aol.com
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:41:48 EDT

--part1_1ab.372aafb1.2f9bf0ec_boundary

My dad and I went birding out in Big Stone County and Lac Qui Parle County at
Salt Lake throughout Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning.

At Salt Lake on Wednesday there was:
Dunlin
Greater White-Fronted Goose
Many Waterfowl including: Pintails, Ruddy Ducks, Lesser Scaups, Ring-Necked
Ducks
Western Meadowlarks
Semipalmated Sandpipers
American White Pelicans

Those are the only major ones we saw, no Avocets yet! We looked throughout
the shore and only found flocks of 5 or 6 small shorebirds. Oh! And we spotted a
lone Cattle Egret taking flight in a field of cows on Highway 212

The next morning we went up birding to the potholes in Big Stone County and
spotted in one larger lake:
Western Grebes
Great Blue Herons
Many Waterfowl
(Albino Coot)
and a few other birds. Northern Harriers were soaring over the fields
throughout the three days as well.
We then went up to the Dismal Swamp (Still in Bigstone County) near the
eastern border of the county. The roads were covered in Canada Geese and
Yellow-Headed Blackbirds! We heard a Sora from the reeds and hopped out to be met right
in front of us with an American Bittern that leapt up into the air and dived
into the reeds.
We started to head back to Ortonville where we were staying and decided to
check out small swamps on the way. Then, on road 6, before road 71 we stopped at
a swamp. There were a few ducks on the swamp including a Pintail. We got back
in the car and started to drive when we suddenly stopped and looked out at a
shorebird in the water... The Black-Necked Stilt!
It was a first for us and we were amazed. It stayed in the swamp for at least
a half an hour and then a large truck scared it off.
So, the directions again is in Big Stone County, on road 6, right before road
71 on the northern side of the road.

The last day was amazingly cold, winds were heavy and it was about 40 degrees
F.
It was kind of funny to see all the birds trying to go places in the wind. We
saw a Cormorant just hovering in midair, flapping frantically against the
wind and not moving an inch. There was a Kestrel just barely hanging onto a road
number sign and he kept almost falling off.
There was a large lake on the southern side of the road that contained a
Redhead and a Canvasback side-by-side. We continued up to Artichoke Lake to find
nothing was out in the cold other than some Cormorants and Scaups. We finally
got too cold and decided our excellent trip was over.

Good birding to all!
- Leo WM.

--part1_1ab.372aafb1.2f9bf0ec_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">My dad and I went birding out in Bi=
g Stone County and Lac Qui Parle County at Salt Lake throughout Wednesday, T=
hursday and Friday morning.<BR>
<BR>
At Salt Lake on Wednesday there was:<BR>
Dunlin<BR>
Greater White-Fronted Goose<BR>
Many Waterfowl including: Pintails, Ruddy Ducks, Lesser Scaups, Ring-Necked=20=
Ducks<BR>
Western Meadowlarks<BR>
Semipalmated Sandpipers<BR>
American White Pelicans<BR>
<BR>
Those are the only major ones we saw, no Avocets yet! We looked throughout t=
he shore and only found flocks of 5 or 6 small shorebirds. Oh! And we spotte=
d a lone Cattle Egret taking flight in a field of cows on Highway 212<BR>
<BR>
The next morning we went up birding to the potholes in Big Stone County and=20=
spotted in one larger lake:<BR>
Western Grebes<BR>
Great Blue Herons<BR>
Many Waterfowl<BR>
(Albino Coot)<BR>
and a few other birds. Northern Harriers were soaring over the fields throug=
hout the three days as well.<BR>
We then went up to the Dismal Swamp (Still in Bigstone County) near the east=
ern border of the county. The roads were covered in Canada Geese and Yellow-=
Headed Blackbirds! We heard a Sora from the reeds and hopped out to be met r=
ight in front of us with an American Bittern that leapt up into the air and=20=
dived into the reeds.<BR>
We started to head back to Ortonville where we were staying and decided to c=
heck out small swamps on the way. Then, on road 6, before road 71 we stopped=
 at a swamp. There were a few ducks on the swamp including a Pintail. We got=
 back in the car and started to drive when we suddenly stopped and looked ou=
t at a shorebird in the water... The Black-Necked Stilt!<BR>
It was a first for us and we were amazed. It stayed in the swamp for at leas=
t a half an hour and then a large truck scared it off.<BR>
So, the directions again is in Big Stone County, on road 6, right before roa=
d 71 on the northern side of the road.<BR>
<BR>
The last day was amazingly cold, winds were heavy and it was about 40 degree=
s F.<BR>
It was kind of funny to see all the birds trying to go places in the wind. W=
e saw a Cormorant just hovering in midair, flapping frantically against the=20=
wind and not moving an inch. There was a Kestrel just barely hanging onto a=20=
road number sign and he kept almost falling off.<BR>
There was a large lake on the southern side of the road that contained a Red=
head and a Canvasback side-by-side. We continued up to Artichoke Lake to fin=
d nothing was out in the cold other than some Cormorants and Scaups. We fina=
lly got too cold and decided our excellent trip was over.<BR>
<BR>
Good birding to all!<BR>
- Leo WM.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1ab.372aafb1.2f9bf0ec_boundary--