[mou] Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Pastor Al PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:36:50 -0500

Questions swim to the surface:

1) How many are left?  Is there a large enough population to conserve?  (See
some of the Hawaiian species' problems.)  Will others be discovered in
divergent locations?

2) Should access be regulated, restricted, even denied?  Who makes such
decisions?  Will birders abide by such decisions?

3) Which model of conservation will we use, from highly interventional
(California Condor) to "letting nature take its course"?

4) How many resources ($$ and otherwise) can we justify allocating for
conservation?

5) How did they keep it secret for so long? (chuckle)

6) In a completely different vein, why does this announcement bring such joy
to our souls?

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties