[mou] Re: [mnbird] Ivory-billed Woodpecker

ecj100@aol.com ecj100@aol.com
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:53:04 -0400

----------MailBlocks_8C71A4306CB6E55_C60_1C25B_mblk-r42.sysops.aol.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Pastor Al <PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net>
To: BIRDCHAT@LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU; mnbird@lists.mnbird.net; mou-net@cbs.umn.edu; wisbirdn@lawrence.edu
Sent: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:36:50 -0500
Subject: [mnbird] Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Questions swim to the surface:

1) How many are left?  Is there a large enough population to conserve?  (See
some of the Hawaiian species' problems.)  Will others be discovered in
divergent locations?
  We don't know.  They only saw a male bird, and don't know if it was the same one several times or not.  Since it was presumably far from its basic territory, there could be others closer to home.
2) Should access be regulated, restricted, even denied?  Who makes such
decisions?  Will birders abide by such decisions?
The area where the search was done is on government land, and is being closed to all but researchers.  The FWS website (I believe) suggests places where you might have a chance to see the bird.  The rest of the WMA is open to hunters and other users, though I gather it is pretty diffcult terrain.
3) Which model of conservation will we use, from highly interventional
(California Condor) to "letting nature take its course"?
I am dubious that the IBWO would survive a captive breeding program, given there needs for old growth forest, even assuming they could be captured, so my guess would be the will be protected as best possible in situ.
4) How many resources ($$ and otherwise) can we justify allocating for
conservation?
Well that is always a hard question.  There has been apparently $millions in private funding to date.  I am sure there will be money for property purchase and other conservation.  Evemtually maybe there will be some offset by guided tours.

5) How did they keep it secret for so long? (chuckle)
Beats me.

6) In a completely different vein, why does this announcement bring such joy
to our souls?
Well they don't call it the Lord God bird for nothing!  And I think we are always glad to hear of a bird back from the brink of extinction, but somehow this is a special one.

Eric Jeffrey (ECJ100@AOL.Com)
Falls Church, VA

----------MailBlocks_8C71A4306CB6E55_C60_1C25B_mblk-r42.sysops.aol.com

<HTML><BODY><DIV style='font-family: "Verdana"; font-size: 10pt;'><DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>&nbsp;<BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: Pastor Al &lt;PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net&gt;<BR>To: BIRDCHAT@LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU; mnbird@lists.mnbird.net; mou-net@cbs.umn.edu; wisbirdn@lawrence.edu<BR>Sent: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:36:50 -0500<BR>Subject: [mnbird] Ivory-billed Woodpecker<BR><BR>
<STYLE>
.AOLPlainTextBody {
    margin: 0px;
    font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
    font-size: 12px;
    color: #000;
    background-color: #fff;
}

.AOLPlainTextBody pre {
    font-size: 9pt;
}

.AOLInlineAttachment {
    margin: 10px;
}

.AOLAttachmentHeader {
    border-bottom: 2px solid #E9EAEB;
    background: #F9F9F9;
}

.AOLAttachmentHeader .Title {
    font: 11px Tahoma;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #666666;
    background: #E9EAEB;
    padding: 3px 0px 1px 10px;
}

.AOLAttachmentHeader .FieldLabel {
    font: 11px Tahoma;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #666666;
    padding: 1px 10px 1px 9px;
}

.AOLAttachmentHeader .FieldValue {
    font: 11px Tahoma;
    color: #333333;
}

</STYLE>

<DIV class=AOLPlainTextBody id=AOLMsgPart_0_00c4ebce-1415-419e-9751-0bd969c5c199><PRE><TT>Questions swim to the surface:

1) How many are left?  Is there a large enough population to conserve?  (See
some of the Hawaiian species' problems.)  Will others be discovered in
divergent locations?
<FONT color=#0000ff>  We don't know.  They only saw a male bird, and don't know if it was the same one several times or not.  Since it was presumably far from its basic territory, there could be others closer to home.</FONT>
2) Should access be regulated, restricted, even denied?  Who makes such
decisions?  Will birders abide by such decisions?
</TT><TT><FONT color=#0000cc>The area where the search was done is on government land, and is being closed to all but researchers.  The FWS website (I believe) suggests places where you might have a chance to see the bird.  The rest of the WMA is open to hunters and other users, though I gather it is pretty diffcult terrain.</FONT>
3) Which model of conservation will we use, from highly interventional
(California Condor) to "letting nature take its course"?
<FONT color=#0000ff>I am dubious that the IBWO would survive a captive breeding program, given there needs for old growth forest, even assuming they could be captured, so my guess would be the will be protected as best possible in situ.</FONT>
4) How many resources ($$ and otherwise) can we justify allocating for
conservation?
<FONT color=#0000ff>Well that is always a hard question.  There has been apparently $millions in private funding to date.  I am sure there will be money for property purchase and other conservation.  Evemtually maybe there will be some offset by guided tours.</FONT></TT></PRE><PRE><TT>
5) How did they keep it secret for so long? (chuckle)</TT></PRE><PRE><TT><FONT color=#0000ff>Beats me.</FONT>

6) In a completely different vein, why does this announcement bring such joy
to our souls?
</TT><TT><FONT color=#0000ff>Well they don't call it the Lord God bird for nothing!  And I think we are always glad to hear of a bird back from the brink of extinction, but somehow this is a special one.</FONT>

Eric Jeffrey (<A href="mailto:ECJ100@AOL.Com">ECJ100@AOL.Com</A>)</TT></PRE><PRE><TT>Falls Church, VA</TT></PRE></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

----------MailBlocks_8C71A4306CB6E55_C60_1C25B_mblk-r42.sysops.aol.com--