FW: [mou] Quail Forever

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:02:11 -0500 (CDT)

I think it's time for our legislators to reevaluate the Federal Aid in
Wildlife Restoration Act (Pittman-Robertson) and the Sport Fish
Restoration Act (Dingle-Johnson).  Amendments ought to be made to place
excise taxes on binoculars, spotting scopes, camo clothing, etc. that
sportsmen and sportswomen buy, regardless of the outdoor activity they are
participating in.  This would increase the general funds of both acts and
hence provide more money to states for wildlife and fishery habitat
restoration.  Even better might be the creation of a separate non-game
habitat restoration act that places an excise tax on binos, scopes,
clothing, packs, and other field gear used by outdoor enthusiasts.

Also, you don't have to fish or hunt to support Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants
Forever, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Trout Unlimited, etc.  All of
these organizations employ wildlife and fisheries biologists who are
dedicated to finding and implementing practical management plans for our
natural resources.  These organizations are geared towards managing game
species, but non-game species benefit tremendously from their management
plans.

Patrick Beauzay
Department of Entomology
217 Hultz Hall, Bolley Drive