[mou] shoreline migrants - Cook Co.

Jim & Carol Tveekrem jotcat@boreal.org
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:26:10 -0500

Small (20 - 25) mixed group of warblers in spruces and deciduous trees near
Lake Superior this evening:
Black & white, Yellow-rumped, Nashville.  A lone Ruby-crowned Kinglet also
in the flock.  Red-breasted Nuthatches in the mix are probably local
nesters, seems too soon for them to be moving south.  Just at dusk 5 or 6
Common Nighthawks moved in from the north and hunted high (100 ft. or so)
above the area, slowly moving southwest.

Earlier last week we had much the same mix of birds, also including Am.
Redstart, Blackburnian and Black-throated Green Warblers, in our trees early
in the morning.

MAPS banding station at Wolf Ridge ELC in Finland (Lake Co.) caught over 115
birds in 4 hours on August 3, Nashville Warblers most abundant,  many
Chestnut-sided also, almost all this year's young.  These species nest
there, but the numbers were so high that many migrants must have moved down
from further inland.  Seems to have been a fairly successful nesting season
in the forest, although thrushes seem scarce.

Carol & Jim Tveekrem, Schroeder