[mou] Fwd: Imprinting?

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:08:39 -0500

This note comes to you at the end of a conversation of which you were
not a part (unless you subscribe to Birdchat). But the main point made
here is quite clear nonetheless. It is worth reading.
Jim Williams
Wayzata, Minnesota

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeff Bouton <jbouton2@YAHOO.COM>
Date: August 18, 2005 5:52:05 PM CDT
To: BIRDCHAT@LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [BIRDCHAT] Imprinting?

Barry and all,

For the record, I'm not anti-rehab despite my tone. I was stirring it
up a bit to make a point and hopefully make people see a different side
to things. That is why I began that tangent (the only way you could
describe it) with, "To play Devil's advocate..." My point is that while
we are moved into action when we see an injured bird flopping roadside,
we are often unmoved (even oblivious) by the bulldozers and "For Sale"
signs that have preceded it.

Another classic example was the whole Red-tailed Hawk fiasco in Central
Park. Yes, I know they have names (Lola and Pale Male) but the whole
thing was amazing to me. Here we had one of the most ubiquitous raptors
in North America, we selected two members of this group and named them,
and the entire world stopped for a week to take notice. We had
dignitaries, actresses, models, activists, and reporters across the
board all mezmerized over a pair of birds that weren't really in any
danger at all. It was all over a stick nest, which the birds would have
clearly rebuilt somewhere else..... It happens every day in nature.
Nests blow down, birds build a new one.... no big deal!

Don't get me wrong I'm glad for the victory, just saddened because
during that same week the bulldozers rang a death knell for thousands
of birds country wide and not a thing was said or written about it.
When I first started birding 20 years ago, I remember going to a place
like Cape May and hearing the old timers complaining, "It ain't like it
used to be!.." To which I'd smirk and think, "...the guy must be blind
and deaf too!... How could it be better than this..." seeing 25-30
species of warblers pounding through the trees daily even with just an
early morning jaunt.

Now I find myself as one of those old guys (even at the ripe old age of
38) thinking, "My God, where have the birds gone!..." When I first
visited the shores of Delaware Bay in spring 1987, I'd seen Red Knots
so thick that sand was not visible between them. This year at the same
places at the same time of year I had a hard time finding even a small
group at peak season visiting all of the accessible beaches! It wasn't
that I was too early or late, it's just that the birds aren't there any
more. Rumors of the Eastern Red Knot being all but extinct in less than
a decade are now running rampant.

To all of the men and women out there working at rehabilitation
centers, I understand it is a labor of love, it is mostly volunteer
based, and my hat's off to you. I fully understand, what is required,
and that your desire is heartfelt. My tangent was an opportunity to
stir up some interesting commentary and hopefully get people thinking
more about the big picture.

Good Birding,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL