[mou] Snowy Owl info

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:27:03 -0600

Curious about the unusual number of Snowy Owls being reported in
Minnesota and Wisconsin recently, I spoke on the telephone today with
Denver Holt, a staff member of the Owl Research Institute in Charlo,
Montana. Holt has done research work with Snowy Owls, particularly in
Alaska.

He said it is hard to tell exactly why these birds are coming south in
more than usual numbers this year. There might not be enough food. Food
might be present but unavailable because of weather conditions. This
species does migrate in winter, moving south. He suspects, however,
that the good breeding year just finished might be the answer. There
simply are more owls and thus more competition for food and territory.
He says that many of the birds being seen south of Canada so far this
season are young birds, what you would expect following a successful
breeding year. "In Montana," he said, "when we see incursions of Snowy
Owls it usually follows a decent breeding year.

Is there a cycle to this? It is hard to say that, Holt said, because
this is so variable.

Can we expect to see more Snowy Owls as the season progresses? "You
can't tell," he said. By this time of year the owls probably have moved
into the areas where they will spend the winter. If they are in place
now, they are unlikely to move great distances unless weather drives
them.

How long will they be here? We can expect them to begin pulling back in
mid-February and early March.

Are Snowy Owls being seen elsewhere in the US in larger than usual
numbers?
"In Washington, Skagit flats, on the north coast of Washington,
observers there are seeing an incursion, more owls than they usually
get. It's the same here, in western Montana," he said. "Those who know
owls say most of these owls look like young birds."

Holt did owl research work in Alaska this past summer and said it was a
good year for these birds up there.

Jim Williams
Wayzata, Minnesota